WASHINGTON (March 18, 2022) — As the world watches the situation in Ukraine, American Hotel & Lodging Association members are donating millions in room nights, cash and rewards to support efforts aiding those affected by the humanitarian crisis.
“The situation in Ukraine is harrowing, and our hearts ache for the innocent lives lost and impacted by the violence there. As we pray for a peaceful and swift end to the war, the hotel industry has stepped up with significant humanitarian relief efforts, including offering housing to refugees and donating to relief organizations, said AHLA President & CEO Chip Rogers. “The spirit of hospitality is what drives us as an industry, and in dark times like these it’s one of the things the world needs most. I’m proud of the many ways the hotel industry is helping to fulfill that need.”
In total, AHLA members have donated or pledged to donate up to one million room nights, $2 million and over 110 million reward points to help with Ukraine relief efforts. See below for a partial list.
- Accor: Accor activated its dedicated financial vehicle, the ALL Heartist Fund, to support its teams and families in the region. In addition, Accor’s endowment fund Heartist Solidarity is partnering with the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) to collect employees’ donations that will be topped-up by Accor. Accor is also working hard in close collaboration with authorities and NGOs to welcome those fleeing areas of conflict, offering shelter and resources in neighboring countries such as Poland, Romania, Moldova, Italy and France.
- Best Western: Best Western Hotels & Resorts has made a donation through its charitable arm, Best Western for a Better World to the United Nations World Food Program for the purpose of providing humanitarian aid and assistance to those impacted by the crisis. Best Western is also working with its international partners to create programs around the world by which loyalty members can donate their Best Western Rewards® points to charitable organizations supporting relief efforts.
- Choice Hotels: Choice Hotels is supporting the Red Cross to help provide humanitarian relief in response to the Ukraine crisis. Choice is providing its over 50 million Choice Privileges members the opportunity to donate points, and matching member donations up to $50,000. In addition, Choice is working with #HospitalityHelps to provide free hotel rooms for Ukrainian refugees. Year-round, Choice proudly supports the American Red Cross through the Disaster Responder Program, helping to ensure the organization is prepared to meet the needs of people affected by disasters big and small across the U.S.
- Hilton: Hilton is donating up to 1 million room nights to support Ukrainian refugees and humanitarian relief efforts across Europe, in partnership with American Express, #HospitalityHelps, and its community of owners. The Hilton Effect Foundation has also contributed $50,000 to World Central Kitchen and Project Hope to further assist with humanitarian aid.
- Hyatt: Hyatt and the global Hyatt family have come together to raise more than $300,000 USD in contributions as part of its Ukraine Relief Fund, which will support impacted Hyatt colleagues in need of necessities, relocation support and care. Additionally, Hyatt hotels across Europe are providing accommodations for refugees, sending supplies to the people of Ukraine, and arranging job transfers for Hyatt colleagues.
- IHG Hotels & Resorts: IHG is supporting teams on the ground in Ukraine and has donated $500,000 to CARE International and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) to help those in desperate need. IHG made it possible for loyalty members to donate to these two humanitarian organizations and has also made available to colleagues helpful coping resources in multiple languages.
- Marriott International: Marriott has earmarked $1,000,000 to its associate relief fund to support associates who are being impacted by the war in Ukraine and is housing refugees at Marriott properties in neighboring countries. Additionally, Marriott Bonvoy members can donate points here to join in supporting UNICEF and World Central Kitchen as they help those impacted by the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine and neighboring countries. Marriott Bonvoy will be matching donations point-for-point up to 100 million points donated this year.
- Red Roof: Red Roof is donating to United Way’s United for Ukraine Fund to support the vital work to help people who have fled the violence, looking for safety and desperate for hope. United Way is working with trusted partners on the ground in Romania, Hungary, and Poland, to address the immediate needs of those escaping the violence. Red Roof is inviting guests, franchise owners, associates, team members, and partners to support these efforts.
- Wyndham Hotels & Resorts: Wyndham is donating $100,000 and 1 million Wyndham Rewards points to support the humanitarian relief efforts of Save the Children, which is currently on the ground in Ukraine and neighboring countries. Additionally, Wyndham is creating a rewards point donation program benefiting Save the Children’s Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund, which enables 92 million Wyndham Rewards members, franchisees and team members to donate points to support humanitarian efforts. Wyndham will match donations up to 10 million points.