AHLA’s 2019 policy priorities, Policy Solutions for Our Workforce, Communities, and Guests, highlight the hotel industry’s advocacy agenda for the coming year.
As the sole association representing all segments of the lodging industry, AHLA is committed to innovative solutions that support small business owners and keep our economy strong. Hotels support 8 million jobs both on-site and throughout the community, representing $355 billion in annual labor income and contributing nearly $600 billion to the U.S. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) while generating $167 billion in federal, state and local taxes. A typical hotel supports more than 250 jobs in the local community.
AHLA’s 2019 policy priorities include addressing our workforce needs, protecting our guests and our neighborhoods, and promoting travel and tourism. Specifically, AHLA advocates for policy solutions that:
- Help the industry meet the increasing demand for associates, including comprehensive immigration reform and expanding the H-2B and J-1 visa programs
- Bring clarity back to the joint employer standard
- Rein in illegal hotels through common-sense regulations, accountability and taxes
- Ensure consumers receive fair and transparent information when booking hotels online
- Increase the flow of international visitors to the U.S. while keeping a strong commitment to security