The American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA), the sole association representing all segments of the 1.8 million-employee lodging industry, will hold its 17th annual Legislative Action Summit (LAS) on April 1-2 at the JW Marriott in Washington, D.C.
Over the two-day conference, hundreds of hotel owners, senior executives of corporate brands, management companies, independent hoteliers, and general managers will engage in important policy discussions with their industry peers and colleagues. Personal meetings with members of the House of Representatives and Senate also give hoteliers the opportunity to share the industryâ€™s narrative as a key cog of the national economy. The conference agenda includes:
- From the White House to Main Street â€“ A conversation about the Administrationâ€™s developing policy agenda and how it impacts hotel operations, featuring White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough*
- Congress and You: The 2014 Legislative Agenda â€“ An update on the 2014 congressional agenda from Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY)* and House Republican Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA)*
- A View from the Top: Lodging CEOs Talk Advocacy - Insights from the industryâ€™s top leaders on the policy issues impacting your bottom line, including immigration and travel and tourism; confirmed participants include Arne Sorenson, president and CEO, Marriott International, Inc., and Ed Walter, president and CEO, Host Hotels & Resorts
- An Insidersâ€™ Look at the 2014 Elections â€“ Get the inside view of this yearâ€™s elections from the Republican and Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committees*
- Legislation and Lodging: An Update from Capitol Hill â€“ An update from key Capitol Hill staffers on the future of immigration and the challenges of healthcare implementation
"The U.S. lodging industry is significantly increasing its presence and visibility with Washington policymakers, and LAS is the most effective way for our members to share first-hand their stories of how the decisions of Congress and the Administration impact the ability of hoteliers to grow, succeed, and add new jobs in their communities," said Katherine Lugar, AH&LA president/CEO. "There are many issues in play this year that will directly impact our industry, including immigration reform, healthcare, government travel, and travel/tourism. The voice of lodging is a critical one in these ongoing policy debates, and attendance at LAS guarantees that our compelling narrative as an economic driver is heard loudly and strongly."
Prior to the start of LAS, AH&LA is holding the first meeting of its new industry councils, and the annual Stars of the Industry award winners are being honored at a special breakfast.
American Express is the founding sponsor of the 2014 LAS, and Cornell University, HD Supply, and Heartland Payment Systems are supporting sponsors for the event.
For more information and to register for LAS, visit www.ahla.com/LAS or call (202) 289-3116. For reservations at the JW Marriott, call (800) 228-9290 and reference the AH&LA Legislative Action Summit to receive the special conference rate of $309/night.